2011 was the year that wasn’t. The economy sucked and so did my financial picture. I tried my best to stay in the green and not in the red, but I didn’t always succeed. I figured that I needed more concrete goals than just trying not to spend too much at the grocery store or sitting in the dark to save electricity. I’m just kidding about that last one. Sort of…
So in no particular order, here are my goals for 2012:
- Set up an emergency fund. Financial gurus will tell you that this is important and they are right. This is a must, but I need to figure out just how much is enough. I know something is better than nothing so just getting started is half the battle.
- Decrease our grocery bill to $250 a month. I started doing this in 2011. Before I started to watch what we were spending at the grocery store, the amount spent hovered around $350 a month. I’ve gotten it down to about $285 a month, but I would still like to lessen it a bit more. Menu Planning has really helped in this area.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. I know that this is not a financial goal, but being healthy is a really important part of my life and I figure this will help me in that sphere. Besides, fruits and veggies are cheaper than buying processed food so maybe this is a financial goal…
- Start a 529 plan for my daughter. It is never too early to start.
- Get rid of any excess junk/clutter. Ebay, Craigslist, etc… whoever will take it at this point.
- Pay off credit card. Sigh…I should be motivated to tackle this, but I’m really not. This card was used to pay for the veteranarian bills for my cat who has since passed away. This card makes me sad for many reasons, but it needs to be paid off.
Well now my goals are written down, so to speak. I am hoping that this holds me more accountable. Wish me luck!