Time to check in and see how I am doing on the goals I set for the year. Progress? Maybe…
- Set up an emergency fund. I have started this but it is paltry at best. We keep having unexpected bills and/or purchases come up which then eat away at what we were planning to put in the E.F. I sometimes feel like I am chasing my tail with this one, but I am not going to give up. We will get this emergency fund rockin’ and rollin’.
- Decrease our grocery bill to $250 a month. Epic fail. On so many levels. Our bill went down quite a bit since my family gave up meat last month, but it is still not below $250. Close, but no cigar. Luckily, we have been buying a lot more produce so I am hoping that this bill starts its downward slope. Soon.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Finally! A goal that I am already at 100%!!! Our family has eaten a lot of produce since the beginning of the year and that makes me happy! It’s been really fun trying new fruits and veggies and implementing them into our meals.
- Start a 529 plan for my daughter. So far, my husband and I have looked into this option and that’s where it ends. We need to discuss this and get going on it.
- Get rid of any excess junk/clutter. This goal? We are kickin’ butt and takin’ names! We have gotten rid of a lot of stuff on Craigslist (seriously, where would we be without this site?) We still have more items to sell and get rid of but I am proud of our progress so far.
- Pay off credit card. So here’s the thing: I may have been a bit lofty in setting this goal and thinking it would be completely paid off by December 31st. The whole “unexpected things that require money” thing keeps cropping up its head and throwing a wrench in this goal. The good news is that this card has not been charged on at all this whole year. The somewhat okay news is that I am making payments on it, and it is steadily going down. I just wish it was at a faster rate. But I am making progress, and that’s what counts.
How are you guys doing on your goals for 2012 so far?