Bear with me a second here folks. I know you are probably thinking, chili and potatoes? With cheese? What the… Hey, wait. It’s starting to sound good right? Well let me tell you that it is good. It is a whole lotta yummy and you will devour it. And if melted cheese is dripping off your chin, then so be it. Who’s looking? 😉
Cheesy Potato-Chili Gratin
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- One 4-ounce can diced hot green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup sour cream (for vegans, use vegan sour cream)
- 2 cups vegetarian chili
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (for vegans, use vegan mozzarella cheese)
Preheat oven to 375°
In a lightly oiled 9 x 13 inch baking dish, layer the potatoes, onion, and chiles, sprinkling each layer with some of the salt, basil, chili powder, and cayenne. Cover and bake until the vegetables are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and spread the cream cheese over the top. Spread the chili over the sour cream and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until heated through and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
**Adapted from the book Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson