Yup, Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. Not a typo, not a mistake, all kinds of delicious!
A few months ago I picked up the cookbook Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward and I have been hooked by her lovely recipes! It is a plant-based cookbook and although I am not on a specific plant-based diet, I aspire to have more plant-based recipes in my repertoire and want to incorporate more good things and less bad things into my meals. This cookbook has definitely been a great investment
This particular recipe is one of my favorites and it shows because when I make these chickpeas, I have a hard time not eating them all in a day! You can either eat these by themselves or as Ella does, she sprinkles them in her salads and soups.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 3 cups canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes**
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Drain the chickpeas and place them on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the paprika, cumin, chili flakes and salt and pepper onto them and then drizzle over the maple syrup, lemon juice and some olive oil, stirring well to ensure that everything is evenly coated.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the chickpeas are nice and crunchy.
Makes 1 large jar.
**The first time I made this, I added the 2 teaspoons of chili flakes. But since I like a little less spice, I now only add 1 teaspoon instead of the called for 2 teaspoons. Still spicy, just not as much 😉 It is up to you on how much of the chili flakes you are a fan of ♥
⇒Recipe adapted from the book Deliciously Ella